SEO (search engine optimization) is the basic and very dynamic field of digital marketing, lot of time you made mistake in learning digital marketing. I have seen lot of students wanted to start learning paid advertising like google ads, social media, etc. without having necessary knowledge factors. First thing to remember is that digital marketing is a part of MARKETING, and to build great campaign or successful career you should know very important marketing fundamentals.
There are lot of concepts in marketing but we will cover few which we need to know while working on SEO campaign.
Marketing refers to the activities and processes involved in promoting, advertising, and selling products or services to customers.
It encompasses a range of strategies, tactics, and techniques that businesses employ to identify, attract, engage, and retain customers while achieving their organizational goals. At its core, marketing revolves around creating value for customers by comprehending their needs, preferences, and delivering products or services that cater to those needs.
Why Marketing Matters?
- Customer Acquisition: Marketing is instrumental in helping businesses identify and attract potential customers. Through a multitude of strategies and channels, marketing boosts brand visibility and generates leads.
- Customer Retention: It’s not solely about acquiring new customers; marketing also plays a pivotal role in retaining existing ones. Establishing robust customer relationships can cultivate loyalty and recurrent business.
- Market Positioning: Effective marketing empowers businesses to position themselves effectively within the market. It aids in defining a unique selling proposition and setting the brand apart from competitors.
- Revenue Generation: Ultimately, marketing’s objective is to drive sales and revenue. A well-executed marketing strategy can lead to enhanced profitability.
- Adaptation to Market Changes: Marketing keeps businesses adaptable and responsive to shifting market dynamics. Through comprehensive market research and analysis, companies can recalibrate their strategies to remain pertinent.
Types of Marketing (considering Digital platforms)
Inbound (Pull marketing): Inbound marketing is a strategy that focuses on attracting potential customers through the creation and sharing of valuable content. The goal is to pull in prospects naturally and build long-term relationships. Inbound marketing focuses on providing value to the audience, establishing trust, and positioning the brand as an industry authority. It relies on the idea that when people are ready to make a purchasing decision, they will naturally turn to the brand that has been consistently providing them with valuable information. Key components of inbound marketing include:
- Content Creation & Marketing
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Social Media Marketing
Outbound (Push marketing): Outbound marketing, often referred to as traditional or interruption marketing, involves pushing marketing messages out to a broad audience, sometimes regardless of whether they are interested in the product or service. Key components of outbound marketing include:
- Email Marketing (lead gen)
- WhatsApp (SMS)
- Cold Calling
Which type is good for you?
To know this you need to understand few important aspects of your business and target market.
- Business Model: very crucial to know and understand it properly, basically 2 types of models are available B2B and B2C. B2B focuses on serving to business whereas B2C focuses on end consumers means serving retail users.
- Target Market: includes location, medium/platform, literacy rate, technology feasibility, etc. You might be thinking why literacy and technology – but it’s very crucial in order to create personalized content or marketing material.
- Target Audience: yes this are the real revenue sources to business, so if we understand who they are and what they want then we can surely build strategy to be visible nearby their needs and digital touchpoints.
- There are many more like SWOT, BCG, 7P’s, 4C’s, etc
but will draft another blog for it as it will get too much marketing lecture 😅 which I don’t want as our topic is simply understand major marketing fundamentals to know for digital marketing.
Understanding Target Audience Through Segmentation Concept
Market segmentation refers to It involves the division of a broader target market into smaller, more manageable segments predicated on shared characteristics, preferences, or behaviors. Market segmentation enables marketers to target different categories of consumers as per their need and want.
Types of Segmentation
- Demographic Segmentation: This segment divides the market based on demographic variables such as age, gender, income, education, and marital status. For instance, a luxury watch manufacturer might concentrate on high-income individuals aged 35-55.
- Psychographic Segmentation: Psychographic segmentation divides into consumer lifestyles, values, attitudes, and interests. It facilitates an understanding of the emotional and psychological factors influencing purchasing decisions. For instance, a company specializing in outdoor gear might target adventure enthusiasts.
- Geographic Segmentation: Geographic segmentation divides the market according to geographic factors such as location, region, or climate. This enables businesses to tailor their marketing messages and products to suit specific locales. For example, a beverage company may offer different products for hot and cold climates.
- Behavioral Segmentation: This segmentation is based on consumer behaviors, including purchase history, brand loyalty, and usage patterns. An e-commerce platform might, for instance, provide personalized product recommendations based on a customer’s past purchases.
- Firmographic Segmentation: In B2B marketing, firmographic segmentation is employed to target businesses based on attributes such as industry, company size, and revenue. It aids in identifying ideal business customers for products or services.
- Technological Segmentation: I know there is no as such🤫 – But I’m introducing it 😎 – in this generally as a marketer we need to identify technological factors such as easily available network, usability of internet, apps, trusted platforms, etc. Specifically used at the time market penetration or new market launch.
🤩Oh you reach the end WOW great.
So surely you might be thinking of where is SEO in this? Let me tell you.
Guys without proper understanding of these concepts you can’t find good keywords, right traffic on website, and even right consumers. Even so many of you will say I don’t have idea about it but still I’m working on SEO – so yes you can work on SEO because SEO is 80% strategy and 20% activity and you are in 20% category. Even if you know how to do SEO but if your strategy is wrong then everything doesn’t make any scence.
So if you want to grow your business or want high paying jobs start focusing on logical concepts and properly strategizing each campaigns before doing execution.
Now, Marketing is very huge topics and it’s continuously involved in our day-to-day life.
So marketing is not over yet – we surely look into more advanced concepts as well even with practically how to use these concepts when you get project or start business.